Re: Orca Questions about Solaris

Hi Satyam,

I have OpenSolaris build 50-something, Ubuntu 6.10, and (sigh) Windows all sharing a single hard drive on my laptop.

They key thing is to install them in the reverse order of what I listed. Also best is to have pre-partioned your disk, leaving open space for OpenSolaris go to into [a second disk, as you are doing, is also fine]. Windows (if you must) first, then Ubunto, then Solaris. Sun has modified grub to read Sun's UFS file system. Those changes don't seem to have made it downstream to the grub in Ubuntu.

After you have installed Ubuntu, make a copy (onto another system) of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Then, after installing OpenSolaris (and making sure to do so only in the space left open for it), go in and edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, to put into it the listings you want and preserved from Ubuntu's menu.lst.

Please note, the Solaris install process isn't very accessible yet. It is possible to install it with the installer running in text-mode only, sending output to a serial port (9600, 8, n 1). It is also possible to do a net install (something sys-admins of large Solaris installations do all the time).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Dear list,
I am planning to install open Solaris latest build.
Before proceeding I have some doubts.
1. is it possible to install open Solaris on external hard drive?
2. will Open Solaris and Linux perhaps Ubuntu stay together on same hard
drive?
I am asking you as I could not find answers from opensolaris.org
Hope to hear from you.
Satyam.