Orca Brltty Build Problem

mielke, Petr Rockai <prockai redhat com>
Subject: Re: Orca cross-post: braille not working with orca 2.17.4

I've added Dave Mielke and Petr Rockai (of Red Hat) to this email ...

Willie Walker writes:
Hi Don:

I'm going to guess this problem might be due to the fact that the build
of BrlTTY will not build the Python bindings for BrlAPI unless pyrex is
installed.  You can test to see if the Python bindings for BrlAPI are
installed by doing the following from inside the python shell (to enter
the python shell, just type "python" at a command line prompt):

python -c "import brlapi"

If this issues an error, then the Python bindings for BrlAPI were not
built or installed as part of the BrlTTY build and you probably need to
install pyrex on your machine.

I can now confirm that neither the Red Hat provided brltty build rpm,
nor Dave's rpm passes this test. Furthermore, while Pyrex is available
from Fedora Core as an rpm module, simply adding it to the
BuildRequires: statement isn't helping me. Point of fact--I can't build
from either Dave's or Red Hat's SRPM. So, it seems there's some other
dependency that isn't being specified.

Also, simply installing Pyrex isn't sufficient, as Willie is saying--if
indeed this is the problem.

PS: If a Bugzilla on this is useful, I can file one. Please let me know.

Hope this helps,