Orca speech-dispatcher not working properly

Hi list, speech dispatcher doesn't start automatically on my machine. Even if I try to start it from ther terminal window I can't do it without the sudo command. as a result I can't use ESpeak synthesizer with orca. If I simply issue the command "$speech-dispatcher" I get some error message regarding priveleges. Please help as to how can this be fixed and How can I use eSpeak instead of festival. Please note that ESpeak is working properly on my machine.
Regards,
Aruni.