Re: Orca error starting orca on "new" fc6 system

Looks like you have a brltty version mismatch or maybe a stale version of brltty is laying around. Alternatively, it may also be possible that your system may not have had the necessary dependencies installed (e.g. Pyrex) to build the Python bindings for BrlAPI. Do you know which version of BrlTTY you built/installed? In addition, when you run brltty, does it tell you which version of BrlTTY and BrlAPI you have?

Will

Donald Raikes wrote:
I re-installed fc6 this weekend, and once it was installed, I ran yum to update everything. I ran orca for the first time, and all was well, no braille support, but I hadn't recompiled brltty yet. Once I compiled brltty and got Pyrex installed, I downloaded the orca 2.70.90 sources from ftp.gnome.org <ftp://ftp.gnome.org>, and compiled them. Now when I run gnome and try to start orca, I get the following error messages in the log: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 1414, in main
    start(registry) # waits until we stop the registry
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 1093, in start
    _switchToPresentationManager(0) # focus_tracking_presenter
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 124, in _switchToPresentationManager
    _PRESENTATION_MANAGERS[_currentPresentationManager].activate()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/focus_tracking_presenter.py", line 837, in activate
    braille.setupKeyRanges(orca_state.activeScript.brailleBindings.keys())
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/orca/braille.py", line 931, in setupKeyRanges
    brlAPI.ignoreKeyRange(0,
AttributeError: 'brlapi.Connection' object has no attribute 'ignoreKeyRange' python: Python/pystate.c:493: PyGILState_Ensure: Assertion `autoInterpreterState' failed. /usr/bin/orca: line 92: 28673 Aborted /usr/bin/python -c "import orca.orca; orca.orca.main()" "$ARGS" Introspect error: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
----
Thanks,
Don Raikes