To: <deprice cs utah edu>
Cc: <emacspeak cs vassar edu>; <William Walker Sun COM>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:32 PM
Subject: Potential conflict between emacspeak with hardware synth and Orca

1) Are you running Emacspeak at the console or under X?
If doing the latter, things are well-night impossible because
orca does not fall silent when emacs has focus.

The simplest thing to do is to run emacspeak on a virtual
console, and run ORCA under X --- switch to the virtual console
running Emacs when you want to use emacspeak. Things work in this
configuration which is how I use it.

"David" == David E Price <deprice cs utah edu> writes:
   David> Hi, I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy and trying to run both
   David> emacspeak and Orca. I want to use my DECTalk Express
   David> with emacspeak and a software synth with
   David> Orca. However, if I have both Orca and emacspeak
   David> running and try to switch between emacs and another
   David> application, everything freezes. I either have to use
   David> a remote machine to kill emacspeak or Orca, or I have
   David> to restart the X server. This problem also occurs if I
   David> am using the emacspeak speech server inside Orca--in
   David> effect, both programs are using the DECTalk Express.
   David>
   David> Is anyone successfully using emacspeak with a hardware
   David> synthesizer and Orca?  If so, any suggestions for
   David> working around my problem?
   David>
   David> Thanks,
   David>

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman users sf net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv raman tv gmail com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs