Re: [orca-list] Accessible Login Docs

There have been a couple of posts on this list in the past week from people (one of them me) who tried following the instructions on that page with little success. I think a big part of the problem is that that document was written from a point of view that assumes a lot of prior knowledge. For example, "Accessibility is enabled by specifying the "GTK+ Greeter" in the "Local" tab for the console display and specifying the "GTK+ Greeter" in the "Remote" tab for remote displays. Or you can modify the Greeter and RemoteGreeter configuration options by hand to be /usr/lib/gdmlogin. "

On behalf of all new users of gnome/orca, may i just say, "Huh?"

I think that means you should run gdmsetup and select those options. Or you can edit /etc/gdm.conf and configure it by hand. But it doesn't say that. This is not exactly intended as a criticism of the documentation. I am actually just trying to explain why I think people (including me) are having problems in spite of reading the docs. I make my living setting up systems. Stuff like dhcp, dns, samba, lprng, apache, etc. I'm no stranger to the term RTFM. But I think a lot of people are coming to orca with absolutely know knowledge of gnome or gdm. I know that's where I'm at.

PS: Orca is really awesome. I've only had orca working since Monday and I took one evening off to shovel snow. So I've been playing with it for only 2 evenings and i was able to get real work done already. I have a long way to go. I have to configure email and figure out web browsing. But I was able to use gedit to fix a config file and a terminal window to restart the service. I tried learning to use a Mac last year and never got that proficient.

Just for future reference:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.20/accessibility.html

There's also http://live.gnome.org/Orca/AccessibleLogin, which just
points to the above.