Re: [orca-list] audio review of linux

Josh wrote:
Is there a place where I can read about how many people use linux versus windows?

Probably not if you want accurate figures, no. But the majority of computers sitting on office and home desks are running Windows.

Also what was the first screen reader for linux and when did it come out?

The first software screen reader for Linux was I believe Emacspeak (1995). It may be you could channel console output to a hardware synthesiser or braille display long before that though; I don't know.

Did dos screen readers exist before linux or unix ones?

I suspect DOS screen readers existed before Linux itself existed. Not sure about Unix.

If you're interested in the history of screen readers, have a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_reader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers

PS I note you asked a very similar historical question on the blinux list. As some people will (like me) be subscribed to both lists, it's good netiquette to wait until your question is answered (or not) on one list before firing it off to another list.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis