From: krishnakant Mane <researchbase gmail com>
To: Richard Wells <richwels bupster cjb net>
Cc: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] All Kinds Of Speech Loss Issues With ORca,
     Espeak And Ubuntu 7.04

hello,
you can't update orca with apt-get install or update.
orca is maintained in a svn repository.
you first need to install svn for your needs.
the command is,
sudo apt-get install svn
then do a sudo apt-get update for your machine
and then execute,
sudo apt-get gnome-common.
you can then checkout orca in your home folder or whereever you like
with svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk orca.
some one correct me if I have missed some thing.
this was a long time back that I executed the command.
basically in an email a few days back on the orca list, details were
given when I was also at the same position and now I am successful.
any ways, after doing the svn checkout do the following.
sudo apt-get build-dep gnome-orca
this will get and build the dependencies for orca.
then go in the newly created orca directory with cd orca, and then issue
./autogen.sh --prifix=/usr and press enter.
you will hear a lot of stuff which is basically to pilot a make
process to build orca from the checked out source.
it checks whether you have all the necessary tools to build and run orca.
after this process completes successfully, the last line before the
prompt will say some thing like "type make to build orca".
I can't remember the exact words but type make were the first two words.
now type make and press enter.
again a lot of text will appear on the screen.  some thing similar to
"entering directory bla bla bla and leaving directory bla bla bla ".
after this process completes, type sudo make install to finally
install the orca u just built.
stop orca with insert q or capslok q for laptop.
now restart orca.
that's it!
if you have any problems please let the list know.
regards.
Krishnakant.

--
Email services by FreedomBox. Surf the Net at the sound of your voice. www.freedombox.info