[orca-list] All Kinds Of Speech Loss Issues With ORca, Espeak And Ubuntu 7.04

Hello,

I am not exactly sure where to start but here goes:

I successfully downloaded, booted and installed Ubuntu 7.04 from the desktop live CD. I've got to say that the documentation for doing this was nothing short of fabulous! It is up and talking but I keep losing speech and some applications don't seem to start at all. Evolution is one example. When I open applications/internet/Evolution, it just goes away and I am left nowhere. It's as if the application didn't start. ALT}TAB does not bring it to focus.When I first boot the machine and log in, I hear "Welcome to Orca... switching to tracking mode" and nothing else happens. I can sometimes focus the desktop, home folder or computer by doing ALT F1, going to the places menu, navigating to the one I want and pressing enter. More times that not however, nothing seems to gain focus. When I do get the desktop to gain focus, if I press TAB to explore, I hear something like "up button" and speech stops working until I reboot.

Please remember that I am very new to a lot of this stuff. Forgive my scattered thoughts and reports here.

A few questions immediately occur to me. Do I need to update some packages since this is a fresh install? Based on what I have read on this list so far, apt-get seems to be the way to do that. What syntax do I need to use to make sure I am tapping into the proper repositories to get the latest versions of everything... Orca... firefox... evolution... ETC.?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. This is an experimental machine so if I need to start over for any reason, I can do that too.

--
Email services by FreedomBox. Surf the Net at the sound of your voice. www.freedombox.info