[orca-list] ALSA and multiple devices

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 18:32 +0300, Mohammed Al-shar' wrote:
very interesting!

can you provide me with more info?
Sorry I haven't used it, I just remember finding comments about it when
I was searching for another answer to an alsa question (related to
dmix). I think the ALSA docs do discuss it, but you may wish to search
the internet as well for something more readable. As I remember its the
bindings, and you set them up in your .asoundrc file. So something like
alsa configuration bindings
may bring something up which is suitable, if not you may want to add
dmix to the words to try and search for.

From
Michael Whapples
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Whapples" <mwhapples aim com>
To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Orca-list Digest, Vol 15, Issue 46

I don't know if such cards exist, but from what I understand, with alsa
you can configure it so that different channels on the card appear as
different devices, or you can combine two cards into one device. So I
suppose if you have something like a 5.1 channel sound card you could
set it to use rear channels for speech and front for audio. The only
limitation to this configuration would be that you now can't use the
card for surround sound while configured like that. If you want surround
sound, then sound cards can be got very cheaply, consider buying one
specifically for speech.

From
Michael Whapples

Message: 8