Re: [orca-list] making orca quiet during long operations

Oh, I got the Edgy reinstalled again, think the huge flood of speech probably locked it up in the dist-upgrade as after a point there was no response from any key pressing. I found that as soon as the CD quit, hitting control-alt-backspace gave Orca. I hope the dist-upgrade will take me to Feisty. I found the CD is really slow when booted from it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pedersen" <Michael Pedersen Sun COM>
To: "Brent Harding" <bharding doorpi net>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] making orca quiet during long operations

Hello Brent,
On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 10:37 -0500, Brent Harding wrote:
I finally got my Ubuntu Edgy-eft up after requiring sighted help because of
some unknown issue that made Orca not speak until after I rebooted after
installation. I now decided I'd run apt-get dist-upgrade. In doing so, I
can't get it to be quiet. Is there any other way to make Orca quit speaking every screen update to the terminal window besides shutting the speaker off and letting it speak away with it muted? I know Edgy probably has a real old version of Orca in it on the CD. I could've used the & sign to make it go in
the background, but then I'd never know when it completes if some GUI
windows don't pop up asking questions.
You can press the orca modifier with the letter "s" to temperarily turn
off speech.  When you press orca+s again speech will be turned back on
and if things are still scrolling you will hear this otherwise you can
just use the flat review keys to exam in the current window.  I think
you would be better off running feisty though as orca and the whole
desktop are much newer.
Hope this helps.
Mike