-----Original Message-----
From: Janina Sajka [mailto:janina rednote net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 10:17 PM
To: lazzaro
Cc: 'Rich Burridge'; 'Janina Sajka'; 'Bill Haneman'; 'Willie Walker';
'Ubuntu Accessibility Mailing List'; 'Gnome Accessibility List'; 'Orca
screen reader developers'
Subject: Re: Orca on laptops.

At the risk of beating on this to death ...

Am I correct in the belief that we mean Insert and CapLocks
interchangeably? If so, I agree.

Insert is the long established default on full-sized keyboards. I don't
believe this was at issue, in fact.

CapLocks comes up only to facilitate laptop users where Insert is
awkward, at best, and often plain impossible. Of course, once we have
CapsLock, there's no reason to not use it as a modifier with a full-size
keyboard, should a user wish.

I suspect there is a point of divergence where a decision must be made,
though. As I understand it, JFW uses Shift plus CapsLock to actually
latch CapsLock. Speakup, on the other hand, uses Ctrl-CapsLock for this.

I suggest the resolution we want is consistency, and I think we need to
adopt practices already familiar in gnopernicus, orca, and indeed the
Windows world. So, much as my Linux/Unix soul prefers Alt-Tab over
Shift-Tab, I suspect the Shift-CapLocks should latch/unlatch caps.

Janina

Joe Lazzaro writes:

I vote for employing Insert and CapsLock as modifiers. This will
emulate
what's used in some Windows screen readers, and users will be
accustomed
to it, which is a good thing.

Joe Lazzaro