Re: Orca on laptops.

Hi Bill.

I am not sure I understand your point - or perhaps you are
misunderstanding me.

I suspect it's the former, but we'll see.  :-)

What I am suggesting is that we specifically _avoid_ using ShiftLock

And what I am suggesting is that we specifically _allow_ using it (if
possible).

(which is generally a troublesome 'modifier'
anyhow, because it always has "latch" behavior, i.e. toggles between
on/off with successive keypresses).

I did wonder about this.  I do know that in some Windows AT products,
ShiftLock is used as a modifier key.  How they went about accomplishing
this, however, I couldn't tell you.

Sorry if this sounds complicated, I am not sure how to put it more
straightforwardly.

I think you're putting it quite straightforwardly, and I apologize for
not doing the same.  If you'll permit me to try again:

What I would like to avoid, if possible, is the need for "loopholes" and
"work arounds."  I *very rarely* use ShiftLock when I type, and I *very
frequently* rely upon shortcuts, access keys, etc.  Therefore *for me*,
having ShiftLock as a possible modifier makes sense.  Having it become
the additional key that I need to press in order to be able to use
existing shortcuts, access keys, etc. sounds like an excellent reason to
purchase an external keypad. :-)

Thanks much for your explanation!  Take care.
--Joanie