Orca Right clicking on blank parts of the desktop?

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a desktop icon. From what I understand, the way to do so is to right click on a blank part of the desktop; However, the problem I'm experiencing is that focus always seems to land on an icon; therefore, I wind up with the context menu for that particular icon as opposed to the general menu that would allow me to create a new item. Is there currently a workaround to this issue? If not, I wonder whether any workaround should be a function of the screen reader, or of the desktop itself?

Thanks,

--Al