Re: Orca Dependencies Question

Hi, Willie:

I've cc'd Jonathan Blandford of Red Hat into this email, because I think
Red Hat will want to bring out FC6 with Orca support. The development
schedules I've seen mesh quite nicely.

In fact, it seems the currently shipping Open Office already includes
the Michael Meeks direct AT-SPI to Uno bridge, if my reading of the
Changelog is correct.

So ...

Willie Walker writes:
Hi Janina:

I've built an rpm for installing Orca 0.2.3 and would be happy to make
it publically available,

Yeah!

For the record, anyone wanting this rpm can find it at:

ftp://ftp.SpeakupModified.Org/fedora/speakupmodified/current/RPMS/

This address will persist. Exchange SRPMS for RPMS in the above, and
you'll get the source rpm files. So, it's OK to link/publish this
address. I'll track your .tar.gz releases at least, and perhaps even
nightly CVS builds, if there's need for that.

I don't have to do anything special to build these. Your spec.in file
did the magic from a ./configure. So, it was a trivial task to build the
rpm.

I'm still working on the html page, but we'll also have web access to
these files soon.

 but it won't install as currently configured
for lack of 8 dependencies.

Darn!

 These 8 dependency packages aren't even
available in the Fedora development repository yet.

Are you using Fedora Core 5?  Because of the large number of crasher and
other bug fixes that went into GNOME 2.14 across a number of GNOME
components, we're now requiring GNOME 2.14, which I think is what comes
with Fedora Core 5.

Yes, FC5 here on all machines, and fully updated as of last night.

The orca-0.2.3 configuration lists a dependency on gnome-speech-0.3.10.
Is it actually using some feature of gnome-speech-0.3.10 not present in
0.3.9? Or will it run just as well with the older gnome-speech?

0.3.10 has needed fixes for the DECtalk and IBMTTS drivers.  If you
don't care about these, then you can use a prior version.

OK. I'll also build 0.3.10, as I am hoping to use ibmtts. Indeed, I'm
working on making it generally available for purchase at
http://TTSynth.Com, but we've been stuck for quite a few months for
various reasons.

Error: Missing Dependency: eel > 2.14.0 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 >= 2.14.0 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-speech >= 0.3.10 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.16 is needed by package orcaError: Missing Dependency:
libnetsnmp.so.9 is needed by package kdeutils
Error: Missing Dependency: libgtop-2.0.so.0 is needed by package gnome-applets
Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.9 is needed by package openhpi
Error: Missing Dependency: libnetsnmp.so.9 is needed by package php-snmp
Error: Missing Dependency: libgtop-2.0.so.0 is needed by package gnome-python2-libgtop2

These dependencies are basically (I think) GNOME 2.14 components.  So,
hope things should work fine with Fedora Cora 5.  If this isn't working
for you, let me know and we can start working through this.  The
dependency list is something I'd like to narrow down and simplify (e.g.,
I wish I could give a meta-dependency that encompasses a cluster of
modules).

That's the main reason I've cc'd Jonathan into this email. I'm hoping
he can help us track this better. I'd hate to build these only to find
them showing up in the development repository a day later. On the other
hand, I'm happy to build any that aren't likely to show up there very
soon. So, it seems some coordination is the key.

And, there's a little good news since last night. The above list of 8 is
now down to 5, as of about 30 minutes ago:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: eel > 2.14.0 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-python2 >= 2.14.0 is needed by package
orca
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gnome-speech >= 0.3.10 is needed by package
orca
Error: Missing Dependency: gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.16 is needed by package orca

For the record, I'm attempting to install using yum as follows:

yum --enablerepo=development upgrade ./orca-0.2.3-1.i386.rpm

This tells yum to look for dependencies in the Fedora development
repositories. I'm saying "upgrade" rather than "install" because I
already have orca-0.2.0 installed on this particular machine.

Janina

Will