Re: ./configure information (was Re: Orca Installation problem)

I want to thank Willie and Willem for all the help. I have some success to report! I managed to get the orca-setup program to run properly. The
prefix=/usr command on the configuration did the job. It even spoke to
me at the end!

Yeah!  This is a great step.

Unfortunately, when I ran orca afterward I received the
following lines:

Changing debug level to 1000
Changed debug level to 1000
Could not initialize connection to Braille

Then it just hangs there not apparently doing anything.

My guess is that the festival-synthesis-driver is hanging. Can you check to see if you can still interact with it using the "test- speech" application? If it seems to be hung, kill any process with 'festival' in its name and try running Orca again. If this continues to be a problem, it probably merits further investigation in gnome- speech. :-(

magnification. As a side note, I noticed someone else had trouble with
festival and that's the only TTS engine I have installed. What's the
preferred TTS engine for Orca? Also, I couldn't find a QUICKSTART file
anywhere, just the TODO and README.

Dang. I probably forgot to put the QUICKSTART in the list of files to include in the tarball. But...that's OK. I think we should migrate to the web page and WIKI:

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/orca/

It's very nascent at the moment, but hopefully members of the community will help us fill out specifics for various distributions.

Will