Re: Orca Installation problem

Hi Luke:

The main reason we suggest --prefix=/usr is that sys.path in Python doesn't include /usr/local. Here's output from the python interpreter on my FC4 box:

>>> print sys.path
['', '/usr/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.4', '/usr/lib/ python2.4/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/ python2.4/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages', '/usr/lib/ python2.4/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ gtk-2.0']

Plus, there are no *.pth files that get us to /usr/local. As a result, I think the python interpreter will have a tough time finding the orca package unless you do something such as set the PYTHONPATH environment variable or set up a *.pth file. We probably could work around this, though, by modifying Orca's copy of sys.path on startup.

Will

PS - Although http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html says python on Unix typically looks in /usr/local/lib/python, I've not found this to be the case.