Orca on laptops

I am trying to learn about Linux so I attend a couple of LUGS in my area.
Because I am a bit of a newby, I live on my own in my own flat and my parents don't know about Linux I use a laptop so I can get help. I was running Gnopernicus at one point with the Dapper Beta of Ubuntu but the problem was I don't have a Numeric Keypad on my Compaq laptop so didn't have access to all the commands. Seeing postings on various mailing lists, I am getting the empression that Gnome Orca seems to be the most worked on screenreader for Gnome so I am thinking of maybe switching. I have read information about setting up Orca for Ubuntu and from what I read the writer has managed to use Orca on a laptop but what doesn't seem to be mentioned is how it was done as laptops don't come with extended keyboards. My sister got me a numeric keypad from a computer fair which I paid her for but unfortunately it has the wrong type of connection or needs an adapter which I have yet to get hold of. What I would like to know is how is Orca keystrokes done on laptops if the person who wrote the instructions for setting it up with Ubuntu got it working on a laptop that is if he didn't have a Numeric Pad? Also a chap at one of the Linux groups I attend had to completely re-install my system because he forgot that the cd could be added to the system and he tried to install from the CD I got from Shippit. He installed the whole of Ubuntu, had my system updated after someone else got Gnome Orca from Universe which it downloaded and installed but because it was late and dad wanted to get home after he picked me up, we didn't have time to configure Orca so Orca is there just not configured.
Does this have to be done with Sighted Assistance?
I could probably login without speech but would it be possible for me to setup Orca without Sighted help or do I have to have Sighted assistance for it? Do I have to have to get someone to go to applications, click on Orca and does that run the setup when I first use it or is there a separate setup under applications for Orca?