Re: Orca accessible gentoo install

Well, I'm running Gentoo, but I installed it three years ago in a way that was rather unorthodox. I was already running another distribution and had a free partition, so I made a new ext3 partition, extracted the stage 1 tarball into it, and chrooted into it to complete the install (it was mostly along the lines of how one would do it with a LiveCD).

The install is console-based unless there is now a graphical installer, so I don't think that Orca would be involved. The LiveCD apparently includes Speak-up, although I haven't ever used Speak-up and don't know if software speech is available by default.

There is an ebuild for Orca 1.0.0 but not anything newer. The components that Orca relies on are generally up-to-date (although there isn't an ebuild for openoffice 2.1).

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful, so let me know if there is anything else I can do or answer.

-- Mike Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --