From: orca-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:orca-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Willie Walker
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 2:51 PM
To: Orca screen reader developers
Subject: RE: Orca Ibmtts viavoice

Hi Juan:

Thanks for the kind words.  The configuration GUI for Orca is not
complete yet.  We hope to get *something* available soon.   For now, you
need to hand edit ~/.orca/user-settings.py.

In general, we're trying to keep the specific interface and keystrokes for
Orca to a minimum.  That is, we don't want to have to require users to learn
a whole bunch of special Orca keystrokes in order to be able to use the
machine.  Instead, Orca will follow your keyboard focus around the display
and present things to you.
But, we do realize the need to do some exploring and some control of Orca
using the keyboard.  For this, we've generally taken over the numeric keypad
and have also chosen to use the "Insert" key as the Orca modifier.  If you
want to explore around the keyboard, you can enter Orca's learn mode by
pressing Insert+F1.  When you enter learn mode, Orca will consume all
keyboard events and will tell you what action the key combination you've
pressed will do.  To exit learn mode, press the escape key.

You can also visit the Orca web site and WIKI for more information:

http://www.gnome.org/projects/orca

Hope this helps,

Will