Re: [orca-devel] questions regarding new settings modell

Hey Halim.

So there's a couple of different settings-related things taking place:
one is the XDG location move which was done by Juanje and has been
committed to master. (Thanks Juanje!) The other is work being done on
settings migration to gconf and ultimately to gsettings by Javi and Ale.
As you pointed out, it is still in the branch.

I've tested Javi's work, found some issues, have some questions etc. and
am working with Ale and Javi on those. Until those are resolved, user
testing might be a bit premature. In fact, I was surprised that you were
having any success at all testing, but looking now I see that I
accidentally committed a patch I had used just to get past some issues.
(Sorry Ale and Javi! It must have happened whilst working on master.
I'll be more careful in the future.)

Anyhoo, to be clear: This is not *quite* ready for user testing yet. We
will let you know when it is.

With respect to your questions:

> 1. where to store settings previously found in ~/.orca/orca-customizations.py

They can still live in orca-customizations.py. But if you have migrated
your settings to the new XDG location, they will live someplace like
~/.local/share/orca/orca-customizations.py.

> 2. How can I select which backend should be used?

How this ultimately is worked out is something I'm discussing with Ale.

> 3. Do I need to remove ~/.orca folder?

Once the XDG migration is completed, the ~/.orca folder will be moved to
the new location (e.g. ~/.local/share/orca). After that point, if you
have an existing .orca folder, it will be ignored by Orca master and
future releases. Older releases will still look there, of course.

> 4. Where can I save my own scripts?

You should be able to store them wherever your other Orca files are
stored, be they in ~/.orca or the new XDG location.

Again, once all the kinks and details are worked out -- which I believe
will happen fairly soon -- I will write up a FLAG DAY announcement
detailing all of these things. What I would ask in the meantime, is
patience as they are worked out and as we adjust to the
recently-announced delay in GNOME 3.0. (Never a dull moment around here,
is there? <smile>)

Take care.
--joanie