Re: Help with core dump

mmacleod webmail co za wrote:

Are we talking CPU utilisation or latency? ORBit was designed to be lean
and fast so I don't think it would be the problem there. For the most
part orbitcpp is a thin wrapper around ORBit. Try profiling your code
with gprof or some other tool. If you find too much time is taken up by
orbitcpp, I can look at improving its efficiency.

My server has an internal loop in its factory object (in a different thread) that executes every n seconds and updates a whole lot of stuff to new values, if my client trys to execute anything using the factory in this period, it sits and waits for a long time then has a COMM failure, it doesnt do this in mico though.

Im confused as to why it would be different, what poa threading policy does orbit(cpp) default too?

Single threaded by default.

could this maybe be the cause?
I would imagine that MICO starts up by default in single threaded as well.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
What thread library are you using? Is it possible that the thread that the POA is in is getting starved for CPU time?

If you could produce a simple (as simple as possible) test case that reproduces the bug, I might be able to find some time to look at it. Otherwise you could try posting to the ORBit list.

--
Bowie Owens

CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
phone  : +61 3 9545 8055
fax    : +61 3 9545 8080
mobile : 0425 729 875
email  : Bowie Owens csiro au