Re: Variability in one-way latency and jitter

Hi Bowie,

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 19:10, Bowie Owens wrote:
> Marc Siegel wrote:
>
> >Sorry for the reposting there.
> >

> Have you sent this to the ORBit2 list? All the marshalling, GIOP, and so
> on is done in ORBit2 (C code). The wrapper layer for orbitcpp does
> introduce inefficiency (converting C++ types into C types, some memory
> allocation, ...) but it should be fairly predictable (aside from maybe
> the memory allocation/deallocation) and there is no difference in the
> wrapper between asynchronous and synchoronous.

Yeah I sent it to the list Orbit-list gnome org as well.

> No, I haven't seen this before. But I don't use one-way much and I
> haven't been doing serious profiling of the project I use ORBit2 for. If
> you can supply profile data indicating inefficiencies in the orbitcpp
> wrapper, I can look at fixing that. But I suspect that isn't what is
> causing the problem.
I'm sure it's not the wrapper, and MICO and TAO performed similarly. I'm
talking about latencies and jitter that vary 3 or more orders of
magnitude, very wild variation in local asynchronous performance. Maybe
it's due to a common implementation strategy for buffering or locking on
asynchronous calls.

If you know a specific person who might be able to offer some insight
into this, please let me know or forward to them?

Thanks sincerely

--
Marc Siegel
MIT Lincoln Laboratory