Variability in one-way latency and jitter

Hi,

I've been doing some benchmarking of open-source CORBA ORBs at work, and
have come across the odd result that even in the local case,
asynchronous (one-way) invocations of calls often take much longer than
the synchronous counterpart, with a huge variability in latency and
jitter results across test runs. I'll be happy to share more details,
but I am mainly interested if anyone has heard of this before, and if
anyone has any ideas why I am getting these results based on prior
experience.

--
Marc Siegel
MIT Lincoln Laboratory