RE: Linker Errors

> From: Johan Cronje [mailto:jcronje dsp sun ac za]
> I am trying to compile an application using the following tools:
>
> gcc-3.3-23
> orbit2-2.6.0-21
> orbit2-devel-2.6.0-21
> orbitcpp-1.3.5 (from source, not shipped with distro)
>
> on SuSE 8.2. However, I suspect that I am not linking
> correctly, as my app
> compiles to an object (.o) file, but it does not want to link
> correctly.
>
> Thanks to Murray for suggesting pkg-config, it cut my error
> file from 134
> lines to 17. Could you please tell me which other libraries I
> need / must
> link to?

The whole point of pkgconfig is that it should tell you everything that you
need. If you show us the actual error (maybe just the first one) then maybe
we can help more. Note that gcc 3.3 is quite new, and there are known
problems with it with other packages such as gtkmm.

> I have included my list of ORBit and IDL libraries,
> as well as an
> extract of my Makefile.
>
> sdr_corba : sdr_corba.o
> 	g++ sdr_corba.o `pkg-config --cflags --libs ORBit-2.0-cpp` \
> 	-o sdr_corba 2> linker_errors

In general, try to do what libbonobomm does. It would be nice to have a
standalone orbitcpp example, of course. If libbonobomm doesn't build then
nothing will.

> Also, (just for interest's sake) using the c backend
> generates a -skelimpl.c
> file with the --skeleton-impl option, but the cpp backend
> does not generate
> something similar.

I'm not sure what that is in C, or how it would be useful in C++.

> Is this correct? And how do I generate
> files with a .cpp
> extension in stead of .cc?

You don't. If it's important to you, you could try to hack that feature into
orbitcpp.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com