Re: Module status & patches

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 08:21 +0200, Mark Hoebeke wrote:

> we have been using CORBA::ORBit successfully for several years now. Most
> recently, we migrated our application servers to 64 bit machines.
> Unfortunately this broke CORBA::ORBit, both the official CPAN version,
> and the one extracted from the gnome cvs servers.
>
> Before diving into the code, I checked with the original author of the
> module (Owen Taylor) who confirmed me he did not maintain the module
> anymore (which I suspected after reading the latest posts on this
> mailing list).
>
> Today, I apparently solved the main issues by tweaking (hacking ?) the
> marshalling/unmarshalling code: our CORBA apps seem to run smoothly again.
>
> Some organizational issues remain however, which I list here in no
> specific order :
> 	- who is the official maintainer of the module (if there still is one) ?
> 	- would anybody be intersted in the patches I made ?
> 	- if so how do I commit my changes into the repository ?
> 	- are there still people using this module ?
> 	- should I switch to pyorbit ?
> 	(OK, this one's to check if you've not fallen asleep :D)
>
> Any comments welcomed !

If you want to take over maintainership I can get you a CVS account -
just mail accounts gnome org with the information from:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/policies/accounts/cvs.html

And mention my name. (They'll ping me to confirm)

I'm not sure about CPAN ... I might still be a maintainer of the
module and could help transfer ownership, or you might have to
track down Roger Huw. (very vague

The obvious caution is that CORBA::ORBit is based on ORBit1 which is
also not maintained.

Regards,
						Owen