Re: Invoking methods from multiple threads - connection policy

Toralf Lund wrote:
Frank Rehberger wrote:
Quoting "Toralf Lund" <toralf lund pgs com>:

Frank Rehberger wrote:
Toralf,

if I remember correctly, there are at least these two options:
ORBIT_THREAD_HINT_PER_REQUEST
ORBIT_THREAD_HINT_PER_CONNECTION

I would recommend the second one (per-connection), if it comes to near-real-time processing, to avoid priority inversion.

It seems to me that if I use this in conjunction with a multi-threaded client, I essentially get single-threaded behaviour for CORBA calls (there will only be one thread on the server-side) if the CORBA object is shared between the threads on the client side. That's if the client is implemented the ORBit2 way, i.e. all operations on an object is sent across the same socket or whatever, regardless of which thread they come from. This is why some other ORBs will set up separate links for separate threads.
that is true, if the threads in your process have different priorities, using mutliple outbound connections (per thread) to same server would make a difference.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

The issue I'm facing is that to guarantee that there is one server-side thread for each client-side thread, I need a separate connection in each of the client-side threads, and with ORBit2 that also means one CORBA_Object per thread, based on duplicate calls to CORBA_ORB_string_to_object() or similar.
Actually, it's a bit harder than that, or perhaps impossible without modifying ORBit2 itself. Having duplicate object lookups doesn't really help, as the object is still shared "behind the scenes".

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.