Re: Multi-threaded

Duncan Grisby wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 14:21 -0400, Brent Baccala wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>

>>> First question: Is this list actually alive???
>>>
>> Yes, barely.  I'm a late comer, but it looks to me like the free
>> software community experimented with CORBA for a few years and then
>> (for some good reasons) largely abandoned it in favor of other
>> approaches.
>>

> I don't think that's quite the case. It is true that the people who
> originally built ORBit experimented with CORBA then abandoned it in
> favour of other things, but other free CORBA implementations like
> omniORB (which I maintain) and TAO are still in wide and active use.

I can confirm that omniORB, TAO (and JacORB) are the best ORBs
available. And widely used. Still, CORBA has a number of features not
available for SOAP, JSON or other application layer protocols.

The pure C-ORBs such as eORB and ORBit2 are facing a second spring in
the context of embedded systems currently.

Toralf,

the memory management of ORBit2 objects can be a bit tricky. If a large
memory footprint is no problem, using TAO might avoid some headaches and
speed up development.

AFAICS, if you would adapt TAO ORB to integrate into glib::main_loop,
TAO might be the better choice. The C++ language binding of CORBA is
much easier to use. All you have got to do is to write an ACE::Reactor,
similar to the one available for Qt:

https://svn.dre.vanderbilt.edu/viewvc/Middleware/trunk/ACE/ace/QtReactor/

Hope that helps, Frank
begin:vcard
fn:Frank Rehberger
n:Rehberger;Frank
adr:;;Wiesbadenerstr. 28;Berlin;;14197;Germany
email;internet:Frank Rehberger web de
tel;cell:+491732057118
note:Skype: frehberg
x-mozilla-html:FALSE