Remote connections, interface to bind to, why not INADDR_ANY?

I'm trying to set up a client-server communication in a real networked application via ORBit2. By "real networked application", I mean that the client and server may run on different hosts, so I need to enable TCP/IP communication. Unfortunately this has proven to be harder than it ought to be. Enabling TCP/IP is easy enough - I just pass "-ORBIIOPIPv4=1" to CORBA_ORB_init() (I won't bother about IP V6 just yet), the major headache is the bind-to-hostname logic.

This thing is, I can't necessarily assume that the server host will have complete and consistent network setup where there is always a proper hostname whose IP address may be reliably looked up. It will more typically get an IP address, but non necessarily name, from a DHCP server, and a DNS record matching the address is certainly too much to ask for. And of course, since the address is dynamic, having a local hosts entry with a real address is a bit problematic...

Anyhow, to get around issues related to hostname lookup etc. I've tried using "-ORBNetID=ipaddr", but it seems like quite help in all situations, i.e. certain inconsistencies in /etc/hosts or similar may still seem like to break the communication.

So, that anyone have any thoughts on this? I mean, I don't expect to get a fix for my app unless I provide much more detailed info, but what are your experience with IP communication, host lookup issues etc. Also, and this is perhaps the key question, why does ORBit2/GIOP insist on binding to a specific address in the first place? Why doesn't it just use INADDR_ANY? Actually, I've tried to tell it explicitly to do just that, via "-ORBIIOPIPName=0.0.0.0", but this lead to problems, too - I got "IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0" on remote connections.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.