Re: ORBit2 with MinGW32

On 8/3/07, Piotr Gaczkowski <doomhammerng gmail com> wrote:
> Dnia 02-08-2007, czw o godzinie 07:01 +0800, Kuang-Chun Cheng
> napisał(a):
> > Hi
> >
> > OK, I also put the files I sent you on my web now.  Check
> > http://www.linuxdaq-labs.org/projs/xmingw/
>
> Thanks for help, although this isn't exactly what I wanted to have.
> Still, it is working so far.
>
> Could you tell me, what is the purpose of this library at all? I see it
> is some kind of IPC, but isn't DBus the better way to handle it?

Do you mean "what's the purpose of ORBit2" ?
Well, ORBit2 is an implementation of CORBA 2.4.  And if you looking
for CORBA implementation ... you will find that most of them are
either C++ or Java.  ORBit2 is the only C implementation I can find
so far (and it probably is the fastest implementation ...).

Yes, it's an IPC ... and if you want to explain CORBA by one statement,
you can say "CORBA is an OO RPC".

Is DBus better than CORBA ?  That depends.  CORBA is a good spec
for distributed programming.  But CORBA is also a very large spec ...
a good implementation with great performance is not easy.
I'm not sure, but I believe the reason DBus was introduced is try
to overcome the performance issue ... for Desktop applications.
Because some of the CORBA requirement is not very useful
for Desktop applications.

So, I will say (although not 100% correct), Dbus is kind of the optimized
CORBA for Desktop applications.

Regards
KC