Re: Finding an initial name-servive using multicasting

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:36:36 +0200
Alejandro García Castro <acastro igalia com> wrote:

> El martes 29 de marzo de 2005 a las 17:40:02 Magnus Bergman escribió:
> > I thought about implementing the getting of the name service as
initial
> > service.
> >
> > [...]
> >

> Hi Magnus, we have developed something that maybe can help you. The
patch
> allows you to define permanent corbalocs to identify a corba object,
we use
> it to identify the initial name service, it is implemented inside the
ORB.
> You can configure your clients just telling a permanent corbaloc of
the name
> service object. You can find the mail on this URL:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orbit-list/2004-November/msg00015.html

Thanks for your answer. I haven't looked very closely at the patch yet,
but might be to some help for me.

My idea is that if only one name service is needed for a specific
context (and orbit is configured to know the extent of that context),
then orbit could make sure that exactly one name service runs in that
context and automatically always use that.

For example if I run a program on my Irix machine that registers a
service through a the name service. Then I run a program on my Linux
machine that just looks up the service through the same name service.
And it just works.

That is what I'm aiming at. No user (admin) visible IORs or such at all,
no configuration should be needed (except possibly restrictions for
security).