Finding an initial name-servive using multicasting

I thought about implementing the getting of the name service as initial
service. And doing this using multicast so that the whole network could
automatically use the same service (if configured so). I think the
best multicast solution would be mdns (already implemented by at least
howl [1]). The most obvious way to do this would be to register the IOR
of the naming service with mdns, but the problem is that the IORs of
ORBit2 are too long (the IORs of original ORBit are not). There limit is
254 bytes of binary data. Is there any (preferably standard) way to
express an object reference with a shorter, possibly binary, string?

* Could an IOR be made smaller?
* Are there any other to express the same data? I've heard about
  something called corbaloc, are those strings analogous to IORs?

Another question is how this is supposed to function. Should every user
always get their own name service (name space)? Should there be a system
one also? Is the separation only of security reasons?

[1] http://www.porchdogsoft.com/products/howl/