Re: Need clarification about conv_frame.idl vs CONV_FRAME.idl

Le 31 juil. 2005 Ã 08:51, Ross Golder a Ãcrit :

On àà., 2005-07-31 at 05:40 +0200, MichÃle Garoche wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on a Mac, 10.4.2 system, HFS+ file system (default file
system on a Mac).

While checking out ORBit2 module from CVS, I've got a cvs conflict
between src/idl/interop/conv_frame.idl and src/idl/interop/
CONV_FRAME.idl because HFS+ is case-preserving, but case-insensitive.

I've seen that conv_frame.idl is used in the Makefile.am, but could
not see any mention of CONV_FRAME.idl.

Based on that, I deleted CONV_FRAME.idl in my local repository and
replaced it with a manual download of conv_frame.idl to solve the
case-insensitivity problem. Is this correct assumption?

That's almost exactly what I would have done. I would have deleted the badly-named file and done a 'cvs update' to obtain the latest version (rather than a manual download, unless that was what you meant).
Unfortunately this is not possible on my system. If I delete say CONV_FRAME.idl and make a cvs update, then again I have a conflict with cvs, so that only a manual download may solve the problem temporarily (until I do a cvs update again).

The problem is there are two files in the cvs repository: one named CONV_FRAME.idl (the newest one) and another one named conv_frame.idl (the oldest one), though the contents are not the same and none of them are deprecated. They are viewed as distinct files by cvs, but not by HFS+ file system. Apparently, the newest one (CONV_FRAME.idl) is meant to work with CORBA 3.0, the oldest one is meant to work with CORBA 2.3. And the Makefile.am only refers to the old one, so that I assumed that it is meant to work with CORBA 2.3, and that in the future maybe the package would work with CORBA 3.0. (I have no idea if CORBA 2.3 is a very old standard or CORBA 3.0 a very new one).

Your observation makes me wonder if the new file is badly-named, which I have not assumed so far.

In both cases, whether CORBA 3.0 or CORBA 2.3 is assumed, the fact that the files differ in name only by capitalisation leads (or will lead) to a conflict on HFS+ file system.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: which CORBA standard is supposed to be used? or which contents of file (referring to conv_frame.idl or CONV_FRAME.idl) is supposed to be used? Or to put it briefly, is the reference to conv_frame.idl in Makefile.am the right one? Or possibly the package is meant to make a choice between one of them (which is obviously impossible on an HFS+ file system).

I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand why there is a CONV_FRAME.idl in the repository for quite a long time (14 months), which apparently is not used, though other related CORBA 3.0 idl files (as CSIIOP.idl for example) are. There should be a good reason for that, could someone enlighten me?

Cheers,
MichÃle
<http://micmacfr.homeunix.org>