Re: Client calling servant with interface as param (attn: Jules Colding)

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 11:45 -0500, Nick_Gianakas sybari com wrote:
> > So you are saying that the callback call to f.print() (from server to
> > client) doesn't get to the client?
> Actually, from what I can tell, the initial call never gets to the server
> (from client).  At least not into the servant.
>
> > Have you remembered to activate the POA in the client??
> As best I can tell, yes.  I followed one of the examples in the orbit2
> tutorial:
> After initializing the ORB, I get the POA by resolving the initial
> reference to the "RootPOA" (CORBA_ORB_resolve_initial_references).
> I then activate the manager (PortableServer_POA_get_the_POAManager), then
> activate it (PortableServer_POAManager_activate).

Hmm... any chance that I might see the actual code? One thing that you
could try is to try ORBit2<==>ORBit2 for your simple foo-bar sample
IDL.

> I'm not sure why the example releases (CORBA_Object_release) the POA
> manager immediately after activating it though.

Because it is not needed anymore. BTW, what is being activated is not
the POAManager but the POA.

> > As said above.. I am currently porting my C++ sample application for
> > Brutus into C (ORBit2) with the purpose of identifying technical issues
> > before I start on the much harder task of giving Brutus support to
> > Evolution. You can take a look when the porting efforts are done and
> > tested (in a week or two).
> >
> > Anyway, I have identified a few issues with the ORBit2 idl compiler and
> > libIDL that might be useful for you. They are all committed to CVS, so
> > please checkout HEAD and check the Changelog for the details.
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Any chance you know of a working example which accomplishes what I'm
> trying to do?

Not yet. The sample code that I am working on will do want you want (and
much more). I could try to look into your problem when I get back to the
office the day after tomorrow, but don't hold your breath as I am rather
pressed for time at the moment :-)

Best regards,
  jules