Re: orbit-io-thread ?

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 17:31 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 18:19 +0100, Jules Colding wrote:

> >> Not really a good argument. It is always possible (and I would say
> >> prudent) for the programmer to scan the command line before calling
> >> ORB_init(). That is really the only way to ensure that the ORB is
> >> initiated with the exact set of arguments that the programmer wants.
> >
> >and, BTW, we could always introduce the command line argument but keep
> >the magic string and emit a warning if there is a concern of application
> >compatibility.
>
>   Why can't the application do its own processing of command line option
> ORBIOThreaded.  At least this way we guarantee the application is aware
> of the possibility of supporting threads, or if it doesn't support them
> it gives a "invalid command-line option" error.  It's much safer this
> way.

My main complaint against "orbit-io-thread" is that it is a magical
string. We could do all ORB options by recognizing sub strings in the
ORB name, but I really think than even one is a very bad precedence.

I really like to do things the "correct" way and I just don't get any
kind of cozy feelings when I see the ORB interpreting sub strings in its
name.

>   Anyway, let's wait for Michael's  comment before proceeding, please.

Always.

Best regards,
  jules