Re: A commercial chance for using ORBit2/C++ bindings

Yu Jie wrote:

Hi,

Our organization is planning a big project which
is a Linux-Embedded system and will be sold as
products in the market.
It is necessary for us to use CORBA in the
implementation for the interoperability between C++
and Java. We are very interested in choosing
ORBit2/C++ bindings CORBA product, so we have a few
important questions to ask though some of the answers
to them might be found in the website but we are a
little afraid whether the information might be
out-of-date. We will really appreciate your help if you could
help us find the answers to the following questions:

I'm the maintainer for the C++ bindings. So I'll try and answer your questions as the relate to the C++ binding. However, some of the answers depend on the behaviour of the C binding. This is because the C++ binding is implemented as wrapper around the C binding.

1. What's the exact latest stable version of
ORBit2/C++ bindings?

The latest stable version is 1.3.9. Releases are available at:

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/orbitcpp/

2. Which version of the CORBA specification does it
support? (For example, CORBA 2.6)

The C++ binding is a wrapper around the C binding and as such targets the same spec as ORBit2 which is 2.4.

3. Is it suitable for embedded system development?

I've not done any embedded system development myself so I'm not abreast of the issues. The C++ binding is a wrapper as such there is a higher memory overhead attached since some objects are represented twice or must be converted. If memory consumption and execution time are really important, you might be better off using the C binding directly.

4. Has it been tested on the Linux Kernel 2.6 and
what's the result? Namely, could it be used without
any problem in the environment of Linux Kernel 2.6? And if it can't, what's the latest version of Linux
Kernel does it support without any problem?

The C++ binding uses the C binding for all the communication. As such it works where the C binding works. Someone with more familarity with the C binding can answer this with authority, but I don't think the C binding requires a specific kernel version as it runs on several different flavours of UNIX.

5. Whether there is any other software which
ORBit2/C++ bindings must depend on to work normally?

The C++ binding depends on the C binding. Which depends on the GNOME libraries libIDL and glib.

6. Does it well support the following features or
CORBA services:
(1) SINGLE_THREAD_MODEL (POA's thread policy)

The threading model is dealt with in the C binding. But if I understand correctly the single thread model is the default behaviour and works well.

(2) Valuetype

No.

(3) Name Service

Yes. The C++ binding provides a compiled version of CosNaming.idl for use in programs that want to connect to a name sever. The C binding provides an implementation of the name server I believe.

(4) Transport layer's replacement

No.

(5) CORBA Component Model(CCM), Real Time,
Event/Notification Service, Dynamic Invocation
Interface(DII), Dynamic Skeleton Interface(DSI),
Security Service.

No. DII and DSI are available with the C binding but I don't think they are wrappered properly in the C++ binding.

-- Bowie Owens

CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
phone  : +61 3 9545 8055
fax    : +61 3 9545 8080
mobile : 0425 729 875
email  : Bowie Owens csiro au