Re: Zero Copy / CORBA high performance enablers?

Hi David,

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 20:40, dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> Has anyone been looking at implementing zero copy optimizations into ORBit?

	Well - we pay attention to it as we write the code :-) [ a little at
least ]. Ultimately zero copy has most scope inside the kernel and at
the kernel <-> userspace edge.

	We used to try to avoid copying 'in' strings out of the incoming socket
buffers - which worked nicely, although it somewhat complicates the
'free' logic; we could do the same for some sequences I imagine;
ultimately though often the complexity - and the memory management
semantics make this not such an attractive thing to do though. IMHO.