building orbit-stable with RH prelink util?

Hi,

I've had a complaint from the Debian prelink[1] maintainer, Marco
D'Itri, that orbit-stable can't be prelinked, which means that many
current apps that haven't made the full transition to gnome2 (or for
which the gnome2 version is still very beta) can't be prelinked
either.

The Debian bug report can be seen at <http://bugs.debian.org/175051>.

The patch provided by Marco (included in the bug report) is incomplete
and somewhat flawed, but does seem to be a step in the right
direction.

Before I go off and craft a Debian specific solution to
this, I wanted to poll the list here and see if anyone had any
interesting comments or suggestions, and maybe some ideas on how to do
this the Right Way(tm).  Since the necessary changes don't affect any
code (just the linking commands), might this actually be something to
consider including in a new release of orbit-stable?

Comments, criticisms, suggestions?

[1] prelink seems to be a RH-developed tool which claims to modify ELF
shared libraries so less relocation needs to be done at startup.
<ftp://people.redhat.com/jakup/prelink/>

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single