Re: ORBit2 threading patches ...

Hi Mark,

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 20:10, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> 	I didn't read the patch in any great detail, but it looks really good
>  - very clean indeed.

	Heh - the more I read it, the more I think it needs more re-factoring;
I'd like to get the main I/O slave thread to do most of the real
connection work, there are still some dodgy bits that need cleaning up
there, pwrt. cnx setup / teardown.

> 	* I don't like the idea of extending the ThreadPolicy enum - just out
> of pure spec lovery. I'd suggest something like
>
> 	ORBit_Adaptor_set_threading_hint (adaptor, THREAD_PER_OBJECT);
>
> 	and the hint would only be honoured with ORB_CTRL_MODEL.

	Is it adultery ? I just copied the values from ORBit-mt, I presumed
they were part of the spec. that we just hadn't implemented as yet - if
not, we should do that. I've just committed it all to get it off my
disk, (and since it passes all the tests nicely now in ST mode, and
seems fine with MT enabled, doing ST stuff ;-).

> 	* Also, I wouldn't change the default policy list - just interpret
> ORB_CTRL_MODEL with no hint as single threaded ...

	Oh, quite probably - someone ought to read the spec I suppose :-)