libbonobomm-1.3.5 configure needs ORBit-2.0-cpp

Murray,

I am emailing you because I am trying to configure libbonobomm-1.3.5
and it fails complaining of a missing ORBit-2.0-cpp. In searching for
information, I saw the email thread between you and Felix Breuer dated
23 June 2002 in which you discuss compiling ORBit-2.0-cpp from CVS
source to remedy the problem. The discussion is probably sufficient
for someone who has done this, but, since I have not, I am hoping that
you will have the time to give me a push in the right direction. Here
are my questions:

1. Before resorting to the source, has a tar ball been created? If so,
where is it? I have tried to find it and I cannot.

2. Assuming that it is still necessary to build the CVS source, I am
hoping that you can fill in where necessary. Apparently, the following
sequence is what I need:

  cvs co -r cpp ORBit2
  ./autogen.sh
  make

  a) What do I have to do prior to issuing these commands? Do I need
  to login somewhere?

  b) Do I need to set any local environment variables. The system on
  which I am running is a freshly installed SuSE 8.1. CVS has never
  been used and I have never had to pull source from CVS, so I would
  greatly appreciate any help or pointers that you can give. I do have
  CVS docs, but I think that I need some help to get started.

  c) Just a curiosity: In the above sequence, why is it not necessary
  to run configure?

  d) Last curiosity: If ORBit-2.0-cpp is required, why hasn't it been
  packaged like all of the other *mm packages?

In the interest of efficiency, I have omitted a lot of context. I hope
not too much for you to be able to help. Please let me know if I have
applied Occam's Razor too liberally and I will gladly supply any
details.

I realize that in contacting you directly, I might not be following
protocol. If that is the case, I apologize and ask that you please
suggest where I might request help. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tom Gee