Re: ORBit 0.5.17 CORBA_ORB_perform_work implementation

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 15:15, dahaverk@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> It may be a synonym...   But books on CORBA show the "perform_work" as an
> exposed to the user function to use.

	Sure - but it's broken by design IMHO.

>  e.g. from "Pure CORBA" By Fintan Bolton...

	With all due respect Fintan Bolton seems to have no idea:

>  // C++ style example...
>
>     keep_running = TRUE;
>     while( keep_running) {
>
>             if (orb->work_pending() ) { orb->perform_work() ; }
>             process_user_gui_input();
>  }

	So; there are 2 choices here - either:

	a) process_user_gui_input blocks, in which case we have
	   an efficient idle state, but no incoming CORBA calls can
	   be processed until a GUI operation occurs

or

	b) process_user_gui_input doesn't block - at which point the
	   application belts around these 2 graunched main-loops,
	   slogging it's guts out and burning out your CPU / battery
	   etc. [ which means a lot to me with a laptop ].

	:-)