Java 1.4.1 and Perl CORBA::ORBit

I have been trying to get Java and Perl to talk to each other for the
past few days, and I have not had much success.  I read a few posts to
this list that recommended ORBit2 and Java >=1.4, but unfortunately,
moving to ORBit2 is not much of an option for me.

The problem I am having is that with a Java "server" and a Perl
"client", method invocations hang and never return.  When accessing the
Java server with a Java client and using orbit-namer-server, there
doesn't seem to a be a problem.  This leads me to believe it is more or
less between Perl CORBA::ORBit and ORBit (although Perl clients and
servers don't seem to have much trouble communicating).

NameService  Server             Client             result
Java 1.4.1   Java 1.4.1         Java 1.4.1         works
Java 1.4.1   Java 1.4.1         CORBA::ORBit 0.4.7 client orb won't init
ORBit 0.5.16 Java 1.4.1         Java 1.4.1         works
ORBit 0.5.16 Java 1.4.1         CORBA::ORBit 0.4.7 hangs
ORBit 0.5.16 CORBA::ORBit 0.4.7 CORBA::ORBit 0.4.7 works

Does anyone have any insight into this, or can possibly point me in the
right direction?

Best regards,
Jason