Re: ORBit for robotics??

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, kishor paygude wrote:
>     What is this scale up problem? Is the problem regarding memory or speed? What are
> the constraints of ACE? What support you expect
> from the ORB?

Hi Kishor,

Well, memory and speed sometimes go hand in hand. After all you only
have a limited cache and like to keep things small for speed reasons.
I'm primarilly interesting in an ORB for portability reasons and for
interprocess communication. It should also be stable in the sense
that if one process die the remaining part of the system should
continue functioning.

ACE has a lot of nice features, but it's really a dinosaur. The C++
interface of TAO is nice (haven't really tried Orbitcpp), but the
compilation (not necessarily the executation) speed is horrible.
I tested a little HelloWorld thing, which took 34 secs to compile.
ORBit only required 1.4 sec for a similar thing. And then there is
the size of the executables, 1800 vs 38 Kb. It currently takes us
two hours to compile the whole system using ACE and approximately
one gigabyte of storage.

So... if we move to ORBit, what would we miss??

Have a terrific rainy day,

Mårten Björkman