Remote ORB invocation

I'm porting an application that has a MICO/C++ backend
and a Java frontend. The goal is to port the frontend to
C and ORBit (version 2). The reason for not using MICO
for the frontend is our general dissatisfaction with C++,
and greater experience with C.

I have tried to make some simple test cases using ORBit,
but they don't seem to work across the network. I'm guessing
that I need to pass a different argument to CORBA_ORB_init()
other than "orbit-local-orb". I also remember reading that
by default ORBit doesn't allow network connections - but is
this simply to rather than from the ORB? I'm also unclear
what the ORBit equivalent of MICO's "nsd" daemon is.

Any pointers on integrating ORBit with MICO would be most
appreciated. We will ultimately switch the backend to ORBit
as well, but as the server code is quite mature we'd rather
leave that to a later date.

Any tips on books with explanations and examples of CORBA
programming using the C binding would be greatly appreciated
as well. Apart from the ORBit test examples, the only thing
I have is a very dated (pre-POA) book called "Understanding
CORBA" by Otte, Patrick and Roy. The stuff on the web I have
seen concerning ORBit programming centres on the Bonobo
architecture for GNOME applications, which is a bit higher
level than what we're looking for.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)