Re: linc-protocol: error in function decls, misplaced "const"

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:03:29AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 09:10, Chris Waters wrote:

> > A Debian user/developer, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray), called the following to
> > my attention.  In linc-protocol.{c,h}, several function are declared
> > as returning const pointers (which is meaningless -- function returns
> > aren't lvalues) rather than pointers-to-const.  The following patch
> > fixes the problem.  (Although it does cause some warnings in the test
> > code -- fixing that is left as an exercise for the maintainers.:)

> 	;-) If you can make a nice patch that fixes all the warnings feel free
> to commit to HEAD.

If you want me to do *all* the work, it's going to have to wait till I
have more time to mess with it.  OTOH, if you can live with the fact
that the compiler considers those pointers unprotected, even though it
looks like the code is *trying* to protect them, then so can I, at
least for now.  I, personally, have no immediate plans to write
through those pointers.  And in fact, I can solve my user's complaint
by simply removing the currently-meaningless "const" statements.
It'll leave me no worse off than I am now.  :)

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single