beginner begs for help

Help! I am desperately trying to learn to use the ORBit implementation
of CORBA and getting nowhere fast. The only beginners' tutorial I can
find is at http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~genaud/ORBIT/. It looks quite good,
but the ftp site from which to download its examples seems to be down,
and I can't figure out how to compile them without a makefile. I don't
know what needs to get linked to what, what needs to be included, how to
generate an ior file, etc.

(I am using Debian unstable with the liborbit0, liborbit-dev, and orbit
packages installed.)

Can somone please help me get on my feet? I just need a "hello world"
client/server with a makefile (or explicit instructions on how to
compile) for my platform.

I would most like to use pure ORBit, without with additonal
complications of gnome and bonobo.