JDK 1.4 ORB <-> ORBit

Hi there,

not that long ago I had to tackle a small CORBA interface
for a communications system. As the client had to run on a
small HP-UX 10.20 machine, my choice of ORBs and implementation
languages was pretty limited.
I finally got it worked out using a precompiled ORBit (from
the HP-UX free software archive) and plain old C, the way
the gods meant it to be. And there was much joy and laughter
throughout the land.

But now for some stupid reason the CORBA server changed its
ORB from VisiBroker 4.1 (I think) to the Java JDK 1.4 ORB.

I may quote the release notes from Sun: "NOTE: Although it is true that
ORBs written in different languages should be able to talk to each
other, we haven't tested the interoperability of the Java ORB with
other vendor's ORBs."

That seems to be the case at least for ORBit (version 0.5.15).

Is this a known problem? Are there any workarounds (newer version,
ORBit2?) or other ways to get things working again in this FUBAR
environment?

...Michael...