Re: Multi threading support in ORBIT?

Hi Pieter,

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 16:09, Pieter Winter wrote:
> I've got some - hopefully simple - questions that perhaps can be answered
> quickly:
>
> I have compiled ORBit2-2.3.109 on Solaris 8, and the tests I have performed
> with it sofar seem to indicate that I can use it. I have the feeling that
> the amount of documentation on ORBIT2 is not very extensive (in fact I have
> constructed most things from the test and example files, since I couldn't
> find any decent documentation). (If anyone knows a good source of
> documentation, feel free to post it :-)).

	You're quite right - except for the fact that the OMG documents CORBA
and the C binding quite extensively. However if you're competant you
should be fine without docs.

> My question concerns multi-threading: does Orbit2 support multi threading?

	Not really; there is some support there - there are several known
problems with the thread support. It's not unrealistic to expect to be
able to complete the thread support - talk to Sebastian about it.

> Are there any particular things I need to do myself to support this (i.e. in
> calls to and from the ORBIT code, since I need to protect any "object
> instance data" that is shared amongst threads)?

	Clearly, if a request can be processed in multiple threads then you
need to add all manner of locking primitives all over the shop. This is
why primarily we use the re-enterant model to provide the illusion of
threading, without the need for (dead) locking. :-)