GLib-CRITICAL error

I'm currently working on a piece of software which I am altering to make
use of ORBit. I have created an object to perform some of the functions
and have written client and server programs. Now when I run the
software, the client tries to call several of the operations provided by
the object. Most of these are carried out with no problems but then a
GLib-CRITICAL error message is given saying "file gstring.c: line 423
(g_string_append): assertion 'val != NULL' failed".

Any idea what sort of problem causes this error?

regards,
Katherine