Re: Orbit, Java, and Windows...

"Craig W. Wright" wrote:
> I brought the client over and I could not get it to connect to the
> server process. Actually, it would "dereference" my server's stringified
> object, but I could not call any of the methods on it. The client would
> report a Comm Failure and from what I can tell nothing is getting over
> to the server at all. (This is with Java running under windows and the
> server still under Linux). I also have JDK 1.3.1 for Windows.
>
> So I ran a couple of tests. I setup an "echo" client/server written with
> orbit and java. The client was running on windows in Java and the
> servers on my Linux box. The windows box was able to connect to the
> Linux box when I ran the Java server, but I got the same errors as
> before when I tried to connect to the ORBit server.
>
> Has anyone heard of this before? Basically Java on Windows won't
> communicate with ORBit, but Java under Linux will.

Say, might this be the old "can't ping the server from the
client using the hostname reported on the server by /bin/hostname"
problem?  Could be a DNS problem.

If that's not it, can you use Ethereal or windump or whatever
and get a packet trace to verify your suspicion that the
client on Windows is not sending any packets to the server?

- Dan